When you’ve received a mesothelioma diagnosis, it is hard to come to terms with what is happening. Getting that mesothelioma diagnosis challenges you to try to find some meaning in all of it. There are many ways to do that. But one clear way is to put that mesothelioma diagnosis to work by helping to advance scientific knowledge of the disease. Because it is only through accurate unbiased scientific knowledge that mesothelioma can be prevented, treated and maybe even someday cured.
To study mesothelioma and get meaningful results requires studying someone with a mesothelioma diagnosis. And that someone could be you. Many of you, because in fact many mesothelioma patients are needed to provide the level of detail that scientific research requires.
Here’s a new mesothelioma study now recruiting volunteers. This study is being conducted by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) . And you can get on board. If you ever thought about leaving your body to science, now’s the time. Except the NCI doesn’t want your body – not yet, anyway. Right now, all they want are some tiny bits and pieces that you won’t even miss.
Tissue Procurement and Natural History Study of Patients With Malignant Mesothelioma
- First received – September 21, 2013
- Last updated – December 6, 2013
- Sponsor – National Cancer Institute (NCI)
- Collaborators – National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC)
- Purpose – To allow acquisition of samples of blood, urine, tumor and abnormal body fluids of mesothelioma patients of mesothelioma
- Discussion of outcome measures –
- Patients will be followed to determine the course of disease and to record any treatment received for mesothelioma.
- Patients will undergo sampling of blood, urine, tumor and abnormal body fluids for tissue banking.
- Studies which may be performed on banked material include genetic and genomic studies, establishment of cell cultures and immunologic studies.
Estimated Enrollment – 1000 mesothelioma patients
- Study Start Date – September 2013
- Estimated Study Completion Date – July 2033
- Estimated Primary Completion Date – July 2033
- Eligibility – Mesothelioma Diagnosis
- Contacts and locations –
|Contact: Lisa A Bengtson, R.N.||(301) email@example.com|
|Contact: Raffit Hassan, M.D.||(301) firstname.lastname@example.org|
National Institutes of Health Clinical Center
9000 Rockville Pike
Bethesda MD 20892